Sunday, April 28, 2013

Double Luxury, Onions and memories

Allen asked for an onion with his eggs so I went to the garden and pulled two beautiful red ones.  I chopped and shredded the green tops and admired the shiny deep purple bulbs.  It is a luxury to bring them from the earth to the pan and enjoy their vibrant beauty  The double gift being that everything I pull from the Earth also releases a memory of the visitor or helper who planted and nurtured it

I recalled Kyung Ho from Korea and the day we volunteered at the Sequoia Riverlands Trust sorting acorns.  We found the small red sets among the acorns and he planted them in the pond garden.  The chickens dug them up after he left and the beautiful Isa replanted them and built a net cage to protect them.

I thought of her each time I watered them and watched them grow strong and safe. I  thought of her as I sliced them and remember they were also watered also by Chris, Makenzie, Ruth, Andrea, Grace, Sarah, Miceala, Tianna, Nicole and even Farid who left in the dead of the night.  Each visitor and helper has poured a little love on them and I remember them all with thanks.

No comments: